Located in Corlla, Currituck Beach Lighthouse towers over the historic Corolla Village. The unpainted brick is what distinguishes it from the other Outer Banks lighthouses, and makes it the last brick and mortar lighthouse built in North Carolina. This lighthouse is a first order lighthouse, having the largest of seven Frensl lens sizes. The 20-second flash cycle can be seen up to 18 miles away! You can also enter and climb to the top for an unforgettable view of the Outer Banks!
On September 25th, 2004 th Town of Manteo dedicated the Roanoke Marshes Lighthouse, located on the Manteo waterfront. The exterior reconstruction of the square cottage-style screw-pile lighthouse stands at the southern entrance to Croatan Sound, near Wanchese. It was decommissioned in 1955, and lost in the Sound during an attempt to move it to private property.
The lighthouse was originally constructed on Pea Island, south of Oregon Inlet in 1847 but was abandoned 12 years later due to poor foundation. Rebuilt in 1859, the then 80-feet tall lighthouse was blown up by Confederate troops in 1861 fearing that the tower would be used by Union forces during the Civil War. Across Oregon Inlet in the current location on Bodie Island, construction of the new 156-foot tall black and white horizontally-striped lighthouse was completed in 1872 with the installation of a first-order Fresnel lens, eventually electrified in 1932. You can visit and learn more bout it's rich history on a guided tour.
Most famously known for its white and black candy-cane stripes, The Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, protects one of the most treacherous stretches of the Outer Banks, with a beam of light that spans 20 miles into the ocean, the lighthouse is also the world's tallest brick lighthouse at a staggering 208' ft. tall.
Oldest in North Carolina and the second oldest in the United States, the Ocracoke Island Lighthouse stands only 65 feet tall. Towering over the 4 square miles of Ocracoke Village, its beacan can be spotted up to 14 miles away.